Thursday, February 19, 2009

To kill a mockingbird

Watched "To kill a mockingbird" last night with my daughters, Daisy and Alice.  What a crazy relevant film this still is -- for me, for the kids and for America.  Set in the Great Depression era American south, it deals with themes of racism, poverty, and in a general way, a way that makes it resonate with all kids who see it, it deals with the fear of the unknown -- the different, the strangers amongst us, be they dangerous (Mr. Ewell, the rabid dog) or benign (Boo Radley, Tom Robinson).

Hatred of the different is defused in one scene that I can't find on YouTube, the courthouse steps scene, where a lynch mob shows up to lynch the black defendant, Tom Robinson.  Atticus Finch is guarding Tom but is losing ground to the mob, when his uninvited children crash the scene and derail the bloodthirst.  Scout's famous lines:

"Hey, Mr. Cunningham. I said Hey, Mr. Cunningham. Don’t you remember me, Mr. Cunningham? I’m Jean Louise Finch. You brought us some hickory nuts one early morning, remember? We had a talk. I went and got my daddy to come out and thank you. I go to school with your boy. I go to school with Walter. He’s a nice boy. Tell him ‘hey’ for me, won’t you?"

I love this movie so much and to my delight, my 10 and 12 year old girls loved it too.

Here's a scene from the beginning that seems especially relevant in today's economic climate:



If you haven't seen it recently, do so soon. 

No comments: